Friday, November 24, 2006

A day of rememberance

It was a seemingly normal day. We went out shopping the day after Thanksgiving sales leaving Evan behind with his grandparents. I was reluctant to leave him behind but I knew he would have fun with his grandma. At the mall while we were having lunch I saw a baby about Evan's age and I missed him even more.

On the way to to town my husband and I discussed where we would have buried Evan had something gone drastically wrong with his recent surgery. We had not discussed it before then because we had not wanted to face the thought that our only child could die.

Later that night as I was trying to help my mother-in-law cook a late dinner Evan started crying. He would not settle for my husband so I heated a bottle and tried to calm him down myself. He was writhing and sobbing and nothing could console him. I gave up and put him into bed for the night thinking that he was just over stimulated by all the excitement of the day. I was wrong he was not overstimulated, he was having his stroke.

This time of year is an exciting time but it is also a bittersweet time as well. My memories are made all that much stronger by being in the very place that Evan had his stroke. Last year's anniversary was a breeze for me since I was dealing with Harry and his issues. This year we are doing so many of the same things we did last year that it is hard to not let it prey on my mind.

We were so lucky that day. If that blood clot had gone in different directions things could have ended up so much worse. Evan could have had his forebrain destroyed. He would have had his ability to make rational decisions destroyed. His personality and memory could have been torn to shreds. The clot could have ended up in the back of his brain. All of the automatic things that you never think about could have suddenly been turned off. Death would have resulted.

I am so thankful that things turned out the way they did. Evan has made so much progress since that day. He is a very bright and happy little boy. He is an amazing and loving big brother. I am thankful for every (well almost every) day that we get to have him with us.

5 comments:

Lana said...

you guys have been through a lot. I hope that Evan continues to do better and better!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Wow what and experience. I cannot imagine all the emotions your family has gone through. Looking at pictures of Evan now, one could never tell he has endured so much!

Tracy said...

That was such a tramatic, scary time for you and your family, it's natural for you to have those memories still very fresh in your mind. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Michael C said...

You certainly have a lot to be thankful for! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me cry, the thought of losing our precious Evan. I remember how that felt, when you called us. I had never prayed so hard. Im thankful hes still with us and that you take such good care of him.