Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Slower than molasses in January

I really think that something has happened to my Christmas motivation. It seems to have vanished, poof it is gone if it was ever there. I have actually done very little this year when compared to years past. My husband did all the decorating. He set up the tree, put up the lights, put out the Christmas village and put up most of the ornaments. I only rearranged a few of the nativity pieces so that they were "correctly" placed and helped the boys out a tiny bit with ornament placement.

I have never been very good with getting Christmas cards out. This year was pretty dismal as I still have a few that I really think I should send out. I even made the picture appointment a lot later in the year than I normally do, barely making it in before Thanksgiving. At least those picture were a big part of our Christmas gifting so that I had very little actual shopping to do.

I also like to bake things to give out to my friends (yes, I have non internet friends) and medical caregivers. This year I got a huge pass on this because my husband's father got a lot of honey out of his hives. All I had to do was hand out jars of honey that had been put together by my mother-in-law. It was a very appreciated gift, but took so little effort on my part that I am almost ashamed.

All our shopping for the boys was done months ago. We got them one toy each and a bunch of books. The shopping for my husband was done just yesterday. No planning really involved, I just stumbled into some things I hope he will like. I did knit him up something really quick like too but I am not even sure it will fit him.

I think that my biggest accomplishment this Christmas season was knitting that scarf for my husband's sister in Germany. We managed to get the package off early enough in the month that it stands a pretty good chance of getting to her in time. I really need to find my Christmas mojo fast or this will be one of my less memorable holidays.

9 comments:

chelle said...

I had not needed to be uber organized this year I am sure I would have flaked out on it all.

Hope the Christmas spirit grabs you tight and fills you with joy :)

Mean Mommy said...

Me too. :| I've had gifts to deliver to friends sitting on my counter for a week, and piles of stuff to wrap... I finally started our Christmas letter Monday, but I don't know if it will make it into cards or just get emailed. I'm soooo lazy.

Anonymous said...

About the cards, don't get me started! I am a lame Christmas person! But then, my friends don't send me cards soo...

Gabriela said...

I've had years like that. It's tough sometimes. You've still got a week left, but if not-soudns like you are having a relaxing season-that's important too I think.

Put on some Christmas music-that always helps me!

chichimama said...

I'm having a similar issue. I didn't even want to bother with a tree this year but M insisted...

That girl said...

There is something to be said for shopping the malls in december.

Sure it's annoying and crowded, but at least you are in the middle of the christmas festivities.

I finished my shopping by late november, so have not needed to attend the mall frenzies. However, that also has kept me somewhat out of the "christmas spirit" mood, if you can believe it.

It's like the holiday season is not even here for me. Very strange, but I do understand and relate to what you are saying.

By the way, it's michelle from IAML, not a new user. I just hated that name, so I changed the display name for my -and your- viewing pleasure :-)

Nanette said...

I think it sounds perfect. Just kick back and relax. (Christmas cards, ha, that is what I should be doing right this very minute!)

Anonymous said...

That's it! I'm giving your present to the poor kids!

Gina said...

Ha! I just saw you pop up on my blog!

I have not been great this year, but mostly because I've been sick and only today feel normal.