Tuesday, October 13, 2009

More about Evan

We had Evan's IEP refinement meeting today. It was nice to see all the people who were working hard to make sure that he will get the best education possible. The big change to the IEP was writing in the need for a para explicitly instead of implying it like it was before. Also added was that Evan will get an extra half hour of PT but instead of it being at the school it would be at another building where the PT has bulky equipment that she wants to use with Evan but can't take in her car. Evan's dream to ride a bus will finally come true and I am sure that will be the highlight if his week.

I was a bit aprehensive about taking him out of the class even more than is going on now but it will be during math time which is apparently one of his biggest strengths (unlike his math impaired mother). He blows his peers away in things like number recognition and counting. I guess I should not be shocked about that since he has obsessed over numbers since he was rather young. I do however need to work on teaching him his address and phone number which is something I never really thought about teaching him although I can see why it would be useful. He also needs to learn our last name and associate it with himself and that I am not just Mommy but I have an actual name. He knows my husband's name since I use it fairly often but my husband only seems to call me Honey so Evan rarely hears my actual name. I guess I should count myself lucky that he is not telling his teacher that his mother's name is Honey.

The adaptive PE teacher has a great goal for Evan which is to work on getting Evan to become more independent. Evan is the master at getting people to help him. There are girls in his class that seem to fall over themselves to help him. Any passing stranger falls under his spell and finds themselves assisting him. It was a crazy battle (and sometimes still is) to get him to dress and undress himself. He has the skills but sometimes just decides that he can't do something (naturally at the worst times).

Daniel charmed everyone at the meeting and flirted a lot. He got passed around a fair bit too and only looked for mommy when it was getting close to his feeding time.

I have been knitting and one of the things I have been knitting is so uber cute that it deserves a post of it's own. The problem is getting pictures since the kids will not let them out of their sight. Once I manage that you will be graced with some non baby (and some baby) cuteness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Evan's dream to ride a bus will finally come true" LOL Yep. I know that.
And, lots of kids even in 1st and 2nd grade struggle with remembering parents' names, full address, etc.
Yea on the IEP!!

elizabeth-w