Monday, September 08, 2008

I heart garage sales

Here in Kansas garage sales are hard core. You can find plenty of them starting as early as Thursday. I haven't been to too many, I am trying to keep the amount of clutter in our house to a minimum, but I still can't resist going to Craig's List and scoping out the yard sales for the week. This week I found something that I had been wanting to get for my boys for some time now.

Yes I got my boys a play kitchen for a mere $5. I had been eyeing a really nice wooden one at Target, but they girled it up and changed the color scheme from neutral to pink. In fact most of the previously gender neutral play food there was pinked up. That makes me rather grumpy!


"Look maw I am playing in a gender neutral kitchen!"



"I love my kitchen!"


Now all I need to do I get them some fun wooden or felt play food and wee dishes. Maybe that is a job for grandparents for Christmas ... hint hint.

12 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

He looks like he could be whippin' up some man food at any moment!!!
Isn't it frustrating when they "girl up" stuff???

Damselfly said...

Wow, what a great find!

Anonymous said...

We totally got our first kitchen from a garage sale! There are some amazing felt foods on etsy!!!

Teapot said...

What a great find!

Heather said...

Ha! Chelle beat me to it...I was going to suggest etsy!

We have an even older version of that kitchen (which I also got at a garage sale) that my kids still play with.

Mean Mommy said...

Hey! That's the same kitchen we had when I was little! I loved that thing!

Of course, I didn't have any fancy play foods or anything to work with. I was a mud pie and weeds girl. I think my mom ended up moving the kitchen to the back yard.

Karla said...

What luck! The boys can wait to cook until they're married to cook in a feminine kitchen, when they loose say of what color the kitchen walls are!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I grew up in KC and I feel the garage sale love. People in Phoenix have "yard" sales and wouldn't dream of putting things in the shade of their garage. -?- Aside from the fact that everyone negotiates down to the nickle on every little thing. So I'm done with yard sales. Craigs List is my new BFF. No more sitting out in the heat all weekend for me!!!

Anne/kq said...

Very cool! My kids were given a play kitchen and a ride-on fire truck by a sister at church who bought them for her grandsons and they were never used. Can't argue with free! She even dropped them off!

spice2116 said...

ummmmmmm i still see some pink on there :p dollar stores have awesome food stuff and kitchen stuff and target always has food stuff in their dollar bins around christmas :) never fails

Aunt Kathy said...

My grandson is 4 and he loves to play in my nieces kitchen set, he doesn't even care if it's pink, lol.

Misty said...

Yes, I agree, GREAT find. And also... you're cracking me up.