Monday, June 02, 2008

When will it end?

I have been avoiding talking about the impending purchase of a house for fear of jinxing it, but I feel that we have moved beyond all that. Buying a house has been a very frustrating endeavor for us. We found this house on the first day of searching. After a bit of back and forth about the price and if we would get to keep the refrigerator or not, we thought we were set when we left Kansas. Murphy laughed heartily at us.

First it was some things on the inspection. The jacuzzi tub that was in the master bath (how cool is that?) needed a special plug so that if water got on it while it was in use it would not electrocute whomever was in the tub. Ok, no biggie, the owners would get someone in to take care of that.

Next the appraiser found a small crack in the foundation and decided that an engineer needed to look at it and see if something was drastically wrong with the drainage. It turned out that some dirt needed to be dumped and compacted next to the house so that a grade would form to move water away from the foundation. Again the owners would take care of that before our proposed move in date.

Today we got a lovely call from the realtor. Apparently during our bug inspection some termite damage showed up. Talk about frustrating! Again the owners will have to fix it, but there is no way it could be done before we are wanting to move in. If the damage is too bad we may decide to walk away all together and start all over again. Sigh. I am hoping and praying that the damage is minimal, because I really love this house and want to have a place to move into right away.

P.S. In case you were wondering about my look changing back and forth, I was deleting a flagrant spam comment that slipped past me when I was in a hurry to approve comments. I can't do that with my current template so I temporarily changed it so that I could. I am pondering changing things up a bit since I have had it for over a year, but am waiting until I get things in order from the move.

10 comments:

Damselfly said...

Yow, a crack and termites. I hope for you sake things work out! I know what it's like to fall in love with a house.

Anonymous said...

Escrow can be hard on sellers and buyers. Escrow is like being in limbo limbo land. We have bought or sold houses 7 times in the last 13 years. It's always hard on the nerves! And sometimes the deal just doesn't work out.
It's a good sign that the sellers have been willing to pay for repairs. It's also very good that the termite damage was found before escrow closed. We know someone who paid for a termite inspection that didn't report any damage. Yet after buying the house the new owner found extensive damage. It was a real headache to work out.
Hope and pray that it's minimal damage because that can be fixed.
diana

Karen said...

Please don't share your frustrations with finding a home. It scares me. ;)
Thank you.
hee hee

Zephra said...

Hope all goes well with the house and I hope to see pictures soon.

Arkansas Bartholomews said...

Much sympathy. Houses are so big that these sorts of things always seem to happen. =(

Much sympathy

Hannah

Midlife Midwife said...

I feel for you on the house buying thing. I hope it works out OK. Hang in there!

Tama said...

Bugs and electricution--no biggy. Right? Murphy is a good friend of mine as well. You know the saying, "Nothing ever quite works out." That's mine.t

Gina said...

Buying a house is so VERY stressful, even when it goes smoothly.

Hoping that things work out for you guys!

Anonymous said...

eeeps....so rooting for minor stuff for the house. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Buying a house can be so frustrating. But just keep focused on the end result. It'll be OK.