Friday, August 31, 2007

Bragging on my boy

Evan is such a sponge, it is amazing to watch his thirst for knowledge. He has moved beyond the more self centered physical pursuits of a baby and toddler (example: learning to walk) and is now extremely fascinated by the world around him. He needs to know the names of everything. Each truck or car that drives by must have a specific type. Numbers and letters surround him and he must point them out to me to share his joy in them. The deep dark things of the world fascinate him. We have to stop and look down drains and grates. He loves tunnels and caves.

With very little effort on my part Evan has learned his shapes, many of the colors, to recognize the numbers 0-9 (we are working on higher numbers now), he can recognize the entire alphabet, he knows all the names of the planets along with other celestial bodies, and on and on. I have lost count of all the different distinctions in moving vehicles that he can recognize and point out. He is starting to get interested in anatomy. We checked out a dinosaur book and he is fascinated by all the different kinds (I sense dino mania in my future). I am really beginning to think that my mother in law is right and that he will end up perusing a career in science of some sort.

I think the funnest part of all this is that I am allowing him to decide what he is interested in and what he wants to learn. I am not one of those parents that played music to my unborn child so that he would add a few extra IQ points to his score. I think that maybe I am just happy that he is not affected mentally from his low oxygen saturations early in life and the possible brain damage that can happen from being put on the bypass machine. I want him to want to learn and I hope to teach him to be able to think on his own so that even if I do not know something he can figure it out for himself. I think that this is one of the most exciting parts of being a parent, being able to shape and teach such an eager student.

13 comments:

Sarabeth said...

At this age, child-led learning is really great. That's what I've done with my kids. My four year old likes to look at Phill's medical texts--like Evan, she's into anatomy. What I enjoy is how much I get to relearn as they explore the world.

Karen said...

It just amazes me to watch them learn like that! My dd learned how to read before she went to kindergarten, and it was pretty much self-taught. I never sat down with her and explained all of the letters and the sounds they make, she just picked it up all on her own! Crazy!

chichimama said...

It is amazing how kids learn, isn't it? Enjoy! It only gets more fun to watch...

Anonymous said...

I heart Evan

Gina said...

You're right, there is nothing quite like watching them be so curious and fascinated. It's awesome.

Elizabeth-W said...

I think trying to not 'direct' them to a specific area is tricky. We naturally have our own interests. I mean, I am not athletically inclined, so I don't spend my time doing those activities. But, I think, if I were, I might have a little volleyball player on my hands, if only I'd expose her to that. You know what I mean?

Tammy and Parker said...

What an upbeat post! It really is wonderous, isn't it?

Unknown said...

I think it's great you're letting him follow his own path. I enrolled my daughter in dance because it's something she loves but not something I would have chosen. Though admittedly, I'm still hoping she takes up soccer. :-)

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Isn't it wonderful to see them learning and exploring? I look forward to when Lance is a little older and I can teach him those very things! For now though, it's a joy to watch him figure out that he can make a ball roll across the floor. :)

Anonymous said...

That is how we learn here too ... Becca guides the way and that way she learns because she wants to ...

Kudos for allowing your child to be a child :) I am never sure what the rush is.

Vicky said...

This is a really fun age - the really frustrating illogical bit is coming to a close, and you can really see the deep thinker now. It is amazing the ability that kids have to soak up information and put it into some sort of logical order, all by themselves. Please just go on doing what you are doing now, giving Evan opportunities to discover stuff for himself, and to delight in it with you.

Jenifer said...

I also love watching Paige and her zest for learning. We can only hope that once these kids enter grammar school and high school we can keep that zest alive!!

Damselfly said...

You're a mom -- you *have* to brag! ;) It really is amazing to realize your child can do something he never did before.