Sunday, April 15, 2007

Son of a gun

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I wish I could say that my birthday was loads of fun but cranky kids and Evan testing high for his INR kind of took all the fun out of the day.

Last week Evan's levels were low and this week they were sky high but I think I may have found the reason for it so hopefully they will level out soon. Apparently garlic is yet another food that interacts with coumadin. The week before Evan tested low we had a run of heavily garlicked foods but have backed off lately which is probably why he is so high now. I am going to have to be more careful in the future with making sure that there is an even amount of garlic in the food we eat.

I wish that this was more widely known. My sister is the one that clued me in on this one. She has a new job working with older cancer patients who are often on blood thinners. That is how she learned about it and then passed it on to me. In all the things that I have read it has never even been mentioned before. I am almost afraid to feed him anymore as I can never seem to be sure which foods will mess with his delicate balance. This is almost as bad as having a diabetic in the house.

8 comments:

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

You are without a doubt an awesome mom! I can't (and selfishly don't ever want to)relate to what you must be going through with Evan. This little fighter is so special and it must take nerves of steel to go through every day the way you do!

You've got my admiration!

*And by the way....Happy Birthday*..you are younger than me, I didn't really realize it! (mine will be in July, I'll turn 32)

Michelle

Pendullum said...

Happy Belated Birthday...
and it is truly amazing how little is known about diet and how it affects/effects us...
Upwhere i live dodtorsare only given 6 hours of nutriional training... they have not a clue about how food can affect diet...All the concentration is given to pills... and this is a crying shame...

Anonymous said...

I cannot remember if I wished you Happy Birthday ... I cannot remember if I showered today *blush*

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

As for the garlic .. wow! I hope all settles for you and Evan!

Karen said...

Wow. You're a great mom! I know that if push came to shove, I could do what you do, but right now I just can't even fathom trying to regulate things right down to garlic!

Jocelyn said...

I would never have known about the garlic, either. I can't imagine having to be wracked about every single thing I let my kids eat. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

FYI other foods that have the potential to interact with Coumadin are; Major: cranberry, papaya Moderate: avacado, ginger, soy products, and Vit A&E suppliments. Garlic fits under the Major catogory.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday - I am so sorry you are having a tough time with Evan - I can barely imagine. I feel so spoiled with my heart kid because things are going so well and we don't have near the ammount that you and many of my other heart mom friends have to deal with. You are in our prayers. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry I'm late posting a Happy Birthday to you! (And sorry it was so frustrating with the kids and the dirty house! I can so relate!)

Hope things are looking up, and that Evan's INR is doing better.

bella