Thursday, April 05, 2007

My quilt folly

Kristi showed her very interesting attempt at a first quilt so I thought I would share mine with you. Since I am a bit better at reading directions and had a friend who was a quilting goddess helping me mine turned out a bit better than Kristi's. The problem with my half finished quilt is that when I prewashed my fabric it shrunk enough that there was not enough of one of my fabrics to actually finish the quilt which was supposed to be a queen size. I am thinking about making it into a twin quilt for Evan when he out grows his toddler bed, but it has nothing to do with Thomas the train so I am not sure he would really even like it.



Here is a close up of the squares. I did not cut out them individually instead I cut long strips of fabric and sewed them together according to the pattern. Then I cut them across and sewed those into bigger blocks which were then sewed together to make the big quilt. The green heart fabric is the evil not enough to finish the quilt fabric. I went back to the store but it was all gone and no more was to be ordered.

Here is a shot that shows you the total effect of the quilt. There would have been sashing around it to help bring the whole pattern together. I would have had to hand quilt it, so maybe it was best that I never finished it since that would have been a large undertaking.



10 comments:

Chellie said...

Love love love it! Great job! And green is my favorite color.

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!!! You are so talented! I love the colors. My sister is a fantastic quilter ... I, on the other hand, do not quilt at all.

Here's her website if you ever want to see what she does ...

http://members.shaw.ca/scrappyblue/home.html

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I also have a half-finished quilt! I started it years ago. My sister and I both made quilts together, and we had a book with directions and a mother who showed us how to use the sewing machine! I have the blocks in a plastic shopping bag just waiting to be sewn together. One of these days, I'll finish it!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- darn nice quilt you're making. I've always been enamored of quilts and quilting. Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed.

I crochet, but haven't done too much in recent years.

Bravo! It came out beautiful!

Nancy Evans said...

wasn't that supposed to be my 25th anniversery quilt? You are 5 years late!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne/kq said...

My first quilt was worse than that-- but then, I made it in 7th grade. It had hand-embroidery, three kinds of yellow, and was a baby quilt. Tied, not actually quilted.

I've gotten much better since then. I've even taught my mother-in-law a trick or two!

chichimama said...

That looks awesome! My first quilt is still sitting in a box in the garage, fabric uncut except for a few pieces that I cut wrong.

Great job!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! Granted, a never found a needle and thread that liked me, but I would never know there was a snafu involved. I love the color - it is just so vibrant!

Go with your bad self!

Damselfly said...

How nice! Aw, you could still finish what's there. I know how aggravating fabric stores can be about what they stock and how.....