Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Review the Queue- Firefly


Firefly is an example of a wonderfully written show filled with great acting getting canceled far too soon. It lasted only a season before being axed due to lack of ratings. I was a bit wary at first about even putting it in my queue but decided to take a chance after hearing a lot of good things about the show.

The show has a very unique concept, it is a western/science fiction show. Serenity is a spaceship (a firefly class ship hence the name of the show) with a rag tag crew of criminals. They tend to spend a lot of time in the outer rim of human space settlements, which is where the western element is strongest. When they wander into more settled space you get a more science fiction feel tot he show.

The acting is done very superbly. The writers managed to avoid the cheesy dialog that is so often found in science fiction movies and tv shows. There are a lot of moments that make you laugh. The characters are real and enjoyable. You truly want to get to know them better and they are not one sided stereotypes. I am very sad that this show was removed from the air far too soon when there are other less deserving shows that are still on the air.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you watched Serenity yet? Its kind of a good wrap-up, though nowhere near as satisfying as if the show had gone on and on! (But better than nothing!)

I'm thinking I'm going to ask my kids to get me all of Firefly for my birthday... I'd watch them over and over, truly!

bella

Christina said...

We just started watching Firefly after some friends let us borrow their copy of the series. I have to agree - it's an excellent show that was cancelled way too early.

Anonymous said...

Was the series by Joss Whedon? Why am I thinking that?

Awesome Mom said...

Yup Chelle it was headed by Joss Whedon.

Gina said...

I don't think I can watch it, since I know it's been cancelled.

Anonymous said...

I loved Firefly! Let me tell you how much: We brought the DVD set with us to watch while I was in labor.

We also discovered it after it had been off the air. I have to say it is probably one of the best science fiction pieces to ever hit the little screen.