Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Meow

Yesterday I slept in until about 9:30, I am not sure how early the kids got up. My husband shut our bedroom door which I normally keep open so that I can hear when the kids get up (it works so well that when Evan woke up sobbing at 3 am because he dropped Kitty on the floor I was there very quickly to solve the situation). For many families that would have meant that there would have been two unsupervised boys running around the house. I could have come downstairs to their attempts to get their own breakfast, or something equally horrifying.

None of these things happened. Both boys were chattering to each other still in their beds. I have no idea what I have done to get so lucky. Evan is perfectly able to open the door, we don't have anything that prevents that like we do with all the doors that lead outside or to rooms I don;t want them getting into. Harry loves to try, but he has not quite got the hang of it. The best I can figure is that Evan does not want to try to leave the room and Harry follows the example of his big brother. I know this because when Harry naps in the room alone I have heard him rattling the door knob when he awake. I guess I will be in big trouble if they decide to bolt, but until then I am enjoying the peace of mind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww how sweet that the boys took care of their mommy!

chichimama said...

Lucky! My kids get out of bed and come get us, but it would never occur to them to go downstairs...

Tama said...

I have slept in a couple of times when my kids were little and my husband had shut the door. I would wake up, look at the clock and instantly hit the panic button knowing that a disaster awaited me outside the door. I was always really lucky too. Having good kids is the best thing in the world!

Gabriela said...

You are lucky, my kids would seize the day and mix up some concoction in the kitchen. I always pay for my "alone time". (it's still ususally worth it though :) )

Steph said...

Mine are usually pretty good about playing in one of their rooms, too. And they also know to go back to sleep if there's not at least a "7" on the clock!

Unknown said...

Sweet!

My husband and son and a few of our pets are up between 5:00 am and 5:30 am every single day of the week. Without fail.

Of course, these are the ones who are sound asleep by 9:00 pm.

Me (and my poor daughter) are night owls. The early birds drive us nutty.

I took two weekdays of "vacation" this week, to catch up on housework. On Thursday, my husband and daughter announced they wanted me to "sleep in" and they would take care of getting everything attended to...

I checked up. They forgot to scoop cat boxes and make the birds pasta salad. I did these things.

Hubby and daughter hissed and I slunk back to bed. Made it last undercovers until 8:15 am. That was the most I could tolerate and I HATE to get up in the morning.

There were those days when I stayed in bed until 3 pm. When I was young and single. I think I got up and made birds pasta salads in my dreams.

Love,
tl