Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Try this Tuesday




Medication is something that will be a constant part of Evan's life. His coumadin does not come in a child friendly liquid form so we have to grind his pills. When he had his tube we could just dissolve it in water and give it to him, but when we switched to giving it to him orally he started refusing his medicine. I could hardly blame him, I am sure it did not taste very good.

After getting approval from his cardiologist we started mixing it into yogurt. Which worked like a charm until we wanted to travel. We would have to get a cooler to keep the yogurt cold or find the kind he liked when we got to where we were going. We recently (in time for the move thank goodness) discovered a new alternative, single serve containers of apple sauce. They were portable and did not require refrigeration. Now applesauce is part of our nightly routine.

Go over to 5 Minutes For Special Needs to check out more tips.

10 comments:

rickismom said...

I also use yogurts for Ricki's meds, but found it hard when traveling. I looked for single-serve applesauce before I visited the US last year (we live overseas), although most were bigger than the carry-on liquid allowed size. Lately I have discovered another pretty good substitute, especially when someone does not want milk products: jello. And for traveling, I just take the powder and mix it up when needed.

gail said...

that's a great idea. we use yogurt too for getting our son's meds down him, but i hadn't thot of applesauce for travel. good idea.

Anonymous said...

Great tip!!

Trish said...

What a great idea - it's amazing how resourceful we have to get sometimes. (Unfortunately my son will not eat anything with that texture but I think it is an awesome suggestion!)

Thank you so much for participating in TTT!

Jenny said...

I totally know where you're coming from! My son has the uncanny ability to make himself vomit any liquid medicine. So when the doctors told us he would need to take medication for his heart problem 3 times a day, we were quite concerned! A friend suggested mixing it with something, and we started with pudding (my son can use the extra calories). He loved it! But we didn't want to give him pudding 3 times/day. Now we mix with applesauce in the morning, pudding at lunch, and yogurt at night. He has no idea he's taking medicine!

By the way, I love the name of your blog! I don't think of myself as an awesome mother very often, but as much work as I put into these kids, I should!

Karla said...

Glad you were able to find a good solution! It reminded me of when my mom was trying to teach me to swallow my asthma meds (pills) and would hide it in applesauce. I would always find it in there, but managed to choke it down anyway. I did want to be able to breathe, after all.

The Mom said...

First time reading your blog - and I think it's absolutely GREAT! You are funny, in a good way :) Like the "I blog during Sesame Street" and the phrase about you being Nuts instead of Comments, I'm putting you on my blog list on my blog http:www.yourfamilywellnessblog.blogspot.com

:)

Elizabeth-W said...

Yea for you! I like the Try this Tuesday theme, too. :D

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

that's a really good idea! thanks for sharing!

Christina said...

Our four year old Evan gets a TON of meds. Applesauce is what he uses too. Swallows pills whole with it. One "trick" I'd add to your routine is buying little tiny ziploc bags from Walgreens. They are near the pill boxes. You can fit one or two scoops of applesauce in it instead of wasting an entire portable container. Anyway, just a thought.