Thursday, July 10, 2008

Don't eat these spiders!


Even though this spider is brown, I recommend that you avoid eating it. I caught this guy after Evan and Harry discovered it while playing down stairs. It is huge! I had a hard time not freaking out as I was catching it but I was also too freaked out to kill it (Yeah I know I am a weirdo). I was obviously not too freaked out to take a picture of it for blogging purposes, I have my priorities.

Any way, we have had a bunch of these guys getting into our basement and I am really wanting to do something about it. Spiders really creep me out unless they are in a container and not running loose in my home waiting to eat my children. Any suggestions?

We had good news on the potty training front. Evan had only one accident all day and I let him go on his own with no reminders. He showed great initiative and even went downstairs to go potty in his favorite of the three potties that we bought (I used the cat box rule: one for every cat plus one and applied it to our family). The lone accident happened while he was napping and he wet the bed. I may put some training undies on him for nap time. Now I just have to get him to use the big potty and use underwear properly and we will be half way there. He still is using diapers at night and needs them.

16 comments:

Darren said...

I don't have any suggestions for getting rid of them, but we recently had a spider about that big just outside our back door. Clare came to tell me that there was a really big spider and I thought she was exaggerating. When she told me again I looked and nearly screamed myself.

Damselfly said...

Uh-oh. I have two cats, so I should have three boxes? Hmm.

I can't help you with your spider problem, but I too was quite proud of myself for taking one out of Fly's room one dark night after he was asleep.

Jaelithe said...

I found these things called Big H traps that seem to work. They're sticky traps with a spider-attracting
scent.

Also, it helps if you vacuum your whole basement. And I mean your whole basement-- like, vacuum the ceiling. Vacuum behind the water heater. Etc. Because this sucks up any hidden egg sacs. I know that's a gargantuan task with two little ones running after you the whole time, but it really did make a huge difference after I did it in my house.

Jaelithe said...

P.S. You can order the traps off of the internet. Search for Big H Spider Traps. I managed to find them at my local True Value hardware, though.

Unknown said...

ewwww creepy, I would be freaking out and doing something about it at the same time

Tammy and Parker said...

Okay. SO not a spider girl. Blech.

And, the feedburner up on 5 Minutes For Special Needs is (should be) up and running. :)

spice2116 said...

we had one of those in the garage and we put it in a jar and tormented it we are so harsh lol

Anonymous said...

That just gives me the willies to think about it. Even without the picture in front of me.

Unknown said...

Hurray for Evan on potty training! I can't even THINK of trianing Bode after that nightmare-that-was Hadley.... :-)

Anonymous said...

egads that is one heck of a spider! eeeks!

Posh Totty said...

Eeeeek!! I nearly fell off the back of my chair when I clicked on your blog and saw that evil thing staring back at me. YUK!!!

Laura said...

EEWWW I have no issue squishing them!! If I dont my daughter will probably have the best bug collection this side of the equator!!!

YAY about the potty training looking a little more promising!

Elizabeth-W said...

Those are VILE!!!

Anne/kq said...

Your post title made me think of Bear Grills' verse on this viral video (apparently a Disc. Channel event of some sort that spawned the new ad campaign, or launched it? I think spawned. Anyway):

"...I love the insects
And all their crunchy bits..."

:D

Trish said...

I know I would never be able to kill something that big - and I might not go down the basement for a week either!!

Amanda said...

I'm going to have to find those spider traps mentioned here. We have the same kind of scary monsters running around here, and regardless of their color, we're not meant to cohabitate.