Thursday, July 24, 2008

Perspective

I have been rather quiet the past few days. I was a hormonal mess and all weepy and stressed out, not to mention crampy. Thankfully a little time was all that was needed to put my formerly horrible life back into perspective. After all I have it quite good. I have a husband that tolerates my PMS induced anger. I have two kids who may drive me nuts some times but most of the time they are super cute and loving. I also have a nice spacious house that is still pretty sold despite the idiocy of the former owners.

Another thing that has put my life into perspective is that I spent part of the evening baking cookies for a bake sale to help a family in the ward pay for their son's medical bills. I am not entirely sure all the issues that are going on with the cute little boy, the only obvious defect is his cleft pallet but I have learned that there are sometimes other hidden issues that can go along with that. I can't help but feel so blessed that we have good insurance and that we have not had to do the same kinds of things to pay for Evan's medical bills.

Yet while I feel my blessings, I still can't help but feel sad for all the little children in other countries that are not as blessed as we are here in the US. I can't help but feel for all the mothers who have children like Evan but who are not able to have access to the doctors and end up loosing their children. The only thing that makes this all bearable is my faith in Heavenly Father. I know that this unfairness is not permanent and the separation of the parents and children is not permanent.

11 comments:

Karen said...

So true. Even on my worst days, I have more blessings than I can count.

Karla said...

Glad you are feeling better. It is easy to loose perpsective when you are feeling so crudy, I know I do. I always feel so ungrateful when I get back to feeling "normal" again about the way acted or felt.

Unknown said...

that's how to get through it, think of the positives it and music help me

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's a blessing that Evan has such good insurance. I've seen families with serious medical needs wiped out financially before turning to the community for help.
I work with someone who often has negative thoughts-- always sees the glass half empty It's depressing.
To counter balance this---every day trying to focus on all my blessings.
diana

Damselfly said...

Oh, that PMS! Gah! I don't think I truly experienced that until after Fly was born. It's quite a marvel of nature.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

It's so easy to forget to count the blessings! I'm reminded of a hymn that we often sang at my childhood church-

"Count your blessings name them one by one,
Count your blessings see what God has done!"

And on not quite as spiritual of a note,
"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad!"

Karla said...

PS Next time Sesame Street is on come on over to my blog, I left somthin' for ya over there. :)

Vicky said...

You know, you have a right to feel how you feel. Even if there are people worse off than you in the world, you are quite within your rights to live in your own skin, too. Of course that doesn't give us license to be selfish, self absorbed people but you are most certainly not of that type. So go on, have a bad day, "enjoy" it and get it out of your system. It's probably the healthiest way!

I think it also lets you have perspective on the world around you - to have one good grumpy day, or one (or several!!) good hormonal bawling sessions sort of clears the air so you can then look up and look around you, don't you think?

I am glad you are feeling better whatever, and can see things clearer today. Be kind to yourself though, you have had a VERY stressful past few months and you still haven't got a solid network of friends around you. It will take time.

In the meantime, there's a little message of my friendship on my blog if you'd care to wander over and have a look...

I haven't been commenting lately , too tired. But I have been reading along faithfully!

Unknown said...

When I'm mooding and PMSing (like yesterday), perspective is something I don't have. Way to give me a dose!

thediaperdiaries said...

We must be on the same cycle :)

It is always good to focus on the blessings. Hope things start looking up!!

Tammy and Parker said...

Your heart is so, so, so good. What a neat thing to do for that family in your ward.

While I won't talk much about insurance......I will sing the praises of the sweet and amazing people who have shared love and their talents with Parker.

You can't imagine how grateful and blessed we have are.