Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hidden Talents

A few days ago we were hanging out in the living room. The boys were doing their usual peer out the window and exclaim about things going on outside. Suddenly Harry got excited and tried to hand my husband something small and black. Harry has somehow caught a fly. We were quite shocked but thought it was a fluke, after all flies are naturally speedy creatures that always seem to evade the quickest of people.

A few days later I decided to see if it was a fluke. I asked Harry to get a fly. We some how never seem to have a house entirely free of flies thanks to slow children that like to linger in open doors, so I thought maybe a fly hunting Harry could help correct a the problem. I didn't really think he could repeat the performance but much to my surprise he managed to yet again corner one by the window and catch it.

The boys, being the boys that they are love catching bugs. I have to watch them carefully to make sure that they don't pick up anything harmful. I also have to watch them to make sure that harmless beneficial bugs to not end up getting squished. Pill bugs are a particular favorite and are also just as likely to get squished if I am not quick enough to stop it. I am sure that bugs are just the beginning.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Send him over, we seem to never be able to catch the flies that inevitably make it inside. We have to chase them for days!

KR said...

That's too cute - I wish my kids (or dog or cat - or husband for that matter) would catch bugs around here! They're all too scared LOL.

Kristin
Reclaiming The Home

Unknown said...

that's funny, he caught a fly

Anonymous said...

Wow that is awesome!

Damselfly said...

I wonder if he could catch Fly!

There is a family story about my grandmother loving to catch flies by the window, then eat them! Yuck!

Jen S. said...

Wow, that IS talent!

Lance came to me and exlaimed, "I gotta BUG!"

He had a dead lizard in his hand. Then he put it in his mouth.

Ick.

At least your boys aren't EATING their prey!

Arkansas Bartholomews said...

Is Harry's X-men talent starting to show? ;)

Aaron occasionally has fun catching flies on the wing too.

Haven't managed it myself.

Hannah

Heather said...

Sign him up for karate! Mr. Meagi would be impressed!