Friday, November 17, 2006

My Mommy night out

I am one wild and crazy party animal. I just got back from scrapbooking with some friends. We had a blast and it was nice to have some adult conversation. My husband called me at about 11 wondering where I was. Apparently he had attempted to wait up for me and I had neglected to tell him not to bother since there was no chance I was coming home until I was about to drop from exhaustion. One of my friends said I should have told him that we had made a surprise trip to Vegas and that we were all out gambling (which if you know me would be completely out of character) .

It was so nice to just get out for the evening. I really have not had a night out like this in a long time. I love being able to talk with other moms and not feel so isolated. I have been feeling so discombobulated lately and this was a nice event that has helped me feel more grounded and normal. When I don't connect with other mothers after awhile I start to feel like I am the only one doing something or going through something. Eventually it starts to affect me mentally.

This is a picture I plan on putting into the scrapbook. It is the first picture I have been able to take of Harry walking. I had to be pretty sneaky to get it. Every other time I would whip out the camera he would promptly plop right on his bum. This time he decided to display his walking skills for the camera. Every day he is getting more and more willing to take a few steps here and there. It will not be long before he is running.

11 comments:

Vicky said...

Well done on the Mummy night out! I wish I could get away for an evening of pure escapism... I do go for work conferences which are fun as other independent English school owners get together and we are all quite good friends, which makes the meetings attractive, but it isn't actually time off. And I do belong to one group that does have get togethers but there are a couple of rather hard work people in it at the moment which makes me less willing to go these days.... Sigh.

Congratulations on Harry getting upright! My Harry walked at a year and a half - lazy little tyke. How old is your Harry exactly?

Pendullum said...

It is great to connect with other people... Too bad the girls were not hollering in the background and telling the stripper to wait until you got off the phone...
That would have had you hubby paude even longer...

Great shot to add to the scrapbook...

Running is so close...
Rest up....

Anonymous said...

WHOA! I thought you needed a night out! I am so glad you had a chance to go out. I look forward to my knitting mornings on the weekend to go out childless and talk! I think it is so important to be able to do that! Running off to Vegas would have been fun too.

Gina said...

Getting out is soooo nice, isn't it?

Awesome Mom said...

Harry is 11 months 3 weeks and 5 days old. I have birthday tickers for the boys at the bottom of my blog.

The only hard thing about being out so late is dealing with the kids in the morning who always get up super early on days I really need to sleep in.

Chellie said...

There is nothing better than a scrapbooking night out. I hope you had a great time and got a lot of pages done... it is the only time I get any done at all!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got to have a night out for yourself! You need that now and then, but sometimes so hard to get! I think I'm getting spoiled this weekend because tonight I'll be going with my mother in law to see my niece perform a show with her dance group and then tomorrow I'll be going Christmas shopping with some friends to another town 2 hours away. Yay!!!!

And yay for Harry in taking his steps alone! Keep it up, little guy!

chichimama said...

so glad you had fun! You deserve it. AND you were productive!

That is a great pic.

Gabriela said...

Glad you got out and had a good time! I think I would have dropped long before 11:00!

Vicky said...

Oh yeah! Duh.... I just found your tickers. In my defence I read your blog every day so rarely need to scroll down to the end of the page!

In that case, your Harry is a quick off the block little guy! Mine was a lazy lump. But oddly my walking at ten months Yoshi is now averse to anything that requires breaking a sweat, and slowpoke Harry is hard, lean and muscular, and runs everywhere.

Otter said...

Hope you have many more nights like this to come.

These night-out times have helped me be a better mom on so many levels.