Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Time

Guinevere wondered how I found time to knit with two little boys running around the house. Easy! I let my kids run wild and naked around the house. Lol!

It is not easy to find time if I just think of it in large blocks, but if I look at just doing a few rows at a time there is a lot more time in a day to knit. I to the bulk of my knitting after the kids are in bed. I tend to do my more tricky stuff that requires concentration at that time since I know that I am a lot less likely to have a curious child climbing up onto my lap. I also take my knitting with me on playdates or other events when I know that I am going to be sitting and the kids will be busy playing. Basically any time I am sitting I try to be knitting. I have a hard time just sitting and watching tv. I get itchy fingers and have to pick up something to knit. Having more than one project going is key. I can pick a project that is appropriate for where I am and the attention level that I know I will need to have for the project.

I really need to find a way to knit and read at the same time. If I do that, I will rule the world!

8 comments:

Nanette said...

If you could get some "future glasses" that you could see print in one eye, then you could knit and read. ;)

chelle said...

I get that question all the time too. Idle hands drive me bonkers. I am always knitting, sewing, embroidering something. Projects that leave the mind open when kids are present are key. I leave complicated stitches and patterns for after they are in bed. I also knit in the car, while my husband drives of course lol!

Tama said...

Knitting and reading can only be accomplished if you have a plain stockingette stitch pattern. I've tried to knit something with a pattern and read and it does not work--it's a disaster waiting to happen!

It's amazing how much knitting one can get done when you only work on it in little snippits of time.

*Michelle* said...

Knitting fits in around the edges of life perfectly-- it's the sewing that suffers! :)

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

I've watched many movies "out of the top of my head" while I've cross stitched. :)

Jeanne said...

It would be nice to learn how to knit and read!

Anne/kq said...

Ha ha ha! That's why I spend so much time online-- 'cause my kids run wild and destroy the house while I do! My husband doesn't mind-- much. Now I have his laptop I can actually watch tv and be online AT THE SAME TIME-- even when my daughter is using the other "puter." I think I'm a little addicted...

Guinevere Meadow said...

Wow! I admire you. I'm not sure I could do that, because when I start a project, it drives me NUTS to have to put it down every few minutes. I would be incapable of just doing a few rows here and there. I want to sit for hours and work on something.

Which is probably why I will never take up knitting, and all my other creative pursuits have taken a back burner for now. But you inspire me that it CAN be done!! I just have to change my thinking, I suppose...

lol!