Friday, October 10, 2008

Nemesis

Being a relatively newly pregnant woman food has become my nemesis. I am lucky that I am not a puking pregnant woman but being constantly queasy also wears on you. There are times when I just want to stick my finger down my throat and get it over with already. The thing that stops me is that I know the feeling would not be any better after throwing up and I also really hate throwing up.

Eating food regularly is really great for controlling my queasy symptoms. the thing that makes this solution hard to keep up with is that I am also a busy mom. Before I know it I realize that I should have eaten something hours ago because I am feeling really yucky. At that point I have to force myself to eat something. Snacking in front of kids is problematic any way. They can hear the rustle of a food package opening from miles around and when they hear it they are suddenly starving and must have some of what you are having. A lot of times mom is the one that hardly eats any of the snack because any time I try and take a bit my kids act like I am robbing them of precious food.

Dinner and the evening are the hardest for me. My queasiness always goes up a notch or two and I have to prepare a dinner while feeling that way. A lot of times I feel so gross by the time I am done that I sneak other food while the kids are not looking and I end up having a separate dinner. The biggest tragedy of the evening being the worst for me (so much for morning sickness) is that I have not been able to do much knitting. I will pick up a project and knit a few rows only to start feeling queasy so I stop. I am trying hard to not associate knitting with the sick feeling. I learned that lesson after I was playing Bejewled online when I was pregnant with Harry. I got so sick that I ended up throwing up and now I can't even look that game with out getting queasy. I am so looking forward to the end of the queasies even if it means that I am merely transitioning to really bad heart burn.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh sweetie. Reading this post just brought back so many bad memories of that first trimester. Here's for hoping it passes quickly!

Midlife Midwife said...

Hang in there Awesome Mom! Try unwrapping all those snacks at night after the kids are in bed and hiding them where you can reach them during the day. That way those little ears don't hear the package crackling. :-)

Gabriela said...

I feel for you-really I do. Mine was so bad this last time that I had heartburn and was nauseated at the same time. Not fun.

And I know exactly what you mean about the game-I can no longer look at the color bronze or read "Real Simple" (the magazine) without having pangs of nausea. ???

Heather said...

Oh it's the good queasiness.

Karen said...

WHAT? I've been gone too long! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm sorry you aren't feeling well! :(
I was sick with both of my kids. I'd get to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore, then I'd go to the bathroom, kneel down in front of the toilet, and that's all it took. No finger down the throat at all. And the thing is, it'd make me feel better for about 2 hours. Then the feeling would start again, slowly intensify, and the cycle would repeat.

Again, CONGRATS!!!!

Elizabeth-W said...

I had it bad with my first. And eating was the only thing that seemed to keep it at bay. Big time carbs.
This too shall pass....Sorry you're going through it. It's no fun.

spice2116 said...

oh love!!! so sorry for your queasiness i totally know what you are going through since i was just there :) many prayers that it will pass well

Jaelithe said...

Ugh. This is how I was through the first half of my pregnancy, and I can't imagine dealing with it with TWO kids in the house. You are a superhero.

(Incidentally, my "best friend" at the time, who had never been pregnant refused to believe that I had morning sickness and kept telling me, haughtily, every time she saw me, "Pregnancy is not an illness." Yeah. Not friends with her anymore.)

Anne/kq said...

My husband did a loooot of cooking during my first trimesters... Hang in there! Are you having heartburn? Have you tried ginger (not ginger ale, real ginger products; candied ginger, ginger beer, etc.)

Anonymous said...

The reason cooking is so hard is the smells---your sense of smell is quite sensitive right now. I had the worst trouble with meat and fish.

And I kept 7 Up and soda crackers handy during the first trimester. But whatever works for you.
diana

Life's a Stitch said...

Congratulations. I had 24 hour a day sickness for 17 weeks with each one, so I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I feel for you. I'm the same way when I am pregnant. I hate smells!

Damselfly said...

Isn't it weird how one little association with throwing up or even just getting queasy can totally turn you off that thing? That's why I can't be around my brother.

Kidding!

I hope the sickness passes soon.