Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving day report

We had a fun thanksgiving. My husband's cousin and her family came over for a visit and helped entertain us. We also had the missionaries over, so we had a very full table.

There were a few spots of trouble. My husband sliced off the tip of one of his fingers so his cooking abilities were rather compromised. Luckily he found the bit of skin before it accidentally got mixed in with our stuffing. I was able to hold my nausea in check long enough to put the herbed butter rub under the turkey skin. I forgot to make the mashed potatoes but as was discovered later all but 4 of them had become rotten, so there would not have been enough for everyone any way. I also forgot to put out my homemade cranberry sauce.

Despite all that there was plenty of food to eat and leftovers galore. One of my ulterior motives in inviting the missionaries was so that I could send them home with as much of our leftover food as I could. I hate having piles of turkey left over. I am not all that fond of it in the first place so being forced to eat it months later is torture. We had enough that my husband could have turkey sandwiches for a few days and we could have a meal of turkey noodle soup. That was enough for me.

Poor Evan had a rather tough day today. He tore one of his fingernails in church so we had to scare up a bandage to keep the blood from dripping on everything. Later on in the evening he was goofing off and tripped into the laundry bag holder. It was not until I saw blood seeping though the bottom of his blanket sleeper that I realized why he was making such a fuss about his toe. He had cut the bottom of it somehow. Another band aid soothed him.

We put up our Christmas tree today. It has really been fun watching the kids change from infants who could care less about holidays to kids that are excited about the whole thing. I am having a hard time with this Christmas simply because I have no idea what to get them for presents. They already have so much stuff that I feel like I don't want to get them anything because it will just add to our burden of stuff. I am thinking that I may get them each something small and then donate something bigger to charity so that those with out will be able to share in our good fortune.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes the finger thing made me a bit gaggy. Dh's fam has a history of finger slicing and it makes me feel all ookie to read about it happening to anyone!

Aunt Kathy said...

I love the idea of the charity giving. What a great way to teach your kids the true meaning of Christmas

Anonymous said...

We have a couple things picked out that we are taking to the Tree of Hope for less fortunate kids.

I can't wait to set up our tree!

Jaelithe said...

Goodness what a day of minor injuries. Glad everything came out okay otherwise. Mashed potatoes are overrated, and now you have all of those delicious cranberries to yourself. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, cranberries.

Heather said...

My husband tried to slice his finger off a few years ago too. Perhaps we should rethink letting them use knives.

Jen S. said...

Band-aids will heal ANYTHING! :)